Muslims seek re-opening of eight Mandalay mosques

Sep 19, 2019

Muslims seek re-opening of eight Mandalay mosques

Naypyitaw (Myanmar) Sept 19: Muslim residents have sought permission to reopen eight mosques in Mandalay that were closed six years ago, encouraged by the recent fence-mending efforts of Senior General Min Aung Hlaing with non-Buddhist religions in the country.
The Muslim residents sent a letter on Saturday to the State Counsellor's Office, the Commander-in-Chief's Office and the Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs seeking the re-opening of the six Islamic worship houses in Meiktila and Yamethin townships, according to U Wunna Maung Shwe, secretary of the Islamic Religious Affairs Council.
"Muslims in Meiktila and Yamethin welcomed the Commander-in-Chief's efforts to communicate with non-Buddhists, but I don't know his intention," he said.
U San Win, a spokesman of the Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs, said they have yet to receive the letter.
U Maung Maung, chair of the Mandalay Islamic Council, said he asked Snr. Gen. Min Aung Hlaing about re-opening other mosques when he visited June Mosque on September 11 to make donations of rice, cooking oil, peas, and money.
The mosques in Meiktila and Yamethin townships were shut down amid intense communal violence in Mandalay in 2014.
However, tensions have eased, and Snr. Gen. Min Aung Hlaing began visiting Hindu, Muslim, Christian and other non-Buddhist shrines last month in an apparent effort to foster unity among the country's different religions.
Source: Myanmar Times